Friday 12 December 2014

 photo post-mark.png

The coincidence of Callie and Kayden (Mental health in books)

This is the first post in the series of mental health in books so I feel like I should clarify this: I'm going to mention if there are triggering factors in the book. I'll try to be as spoiler-free as possible, but I think it is necessary to mention these things to make sure that people are informed before they decide to read them. Some books containing mental health issues are VERY triggering, and in those cases I'll try to make it as clear as possible. (Obviously different factors can trigger different people so I will write at the ending the main possible triggers so that people are warned)

I know I said I'd update on Thursday but yesterday I couldn't even turn on my laptop! (Didn't even have time to have lunch, which my therapist was very upset about....) I'm very sorry for being late!


The coincidence of Callie and Kayden
Jessica Sorensen




For Kayden, suffering in silence was the only way to survive. If he was lucky, he could keep his head down, do as he was told, and make it through the day. But one night it seemed like his luck -- and his life -- might finally end... until an angel named Callie appeared just in time to rescue him. 


 Callie has never believed in luck. Not since her twelfth birthday when everything was taken from her. After the worst was over, she locked up her feelings and vowed never to tell anyone what happened. Now, six years later, she continues to struggle with the painful secret that threatens to consume her. 

 When fate lands Kayden and Callie at the same college, Kayden is determined to get to know the beautiful girl who changed his destiny. Quiet and reserved, Callie still fears letting anyone else into her world. But Kayden is certain that Callie has come back into his life for a reason. And the more he tries to be a part of her life, the more he realizes that, this time, it's Callie who needs to be saved...



Callie clearly suffers from PTSD and an eating disorder that serves the purpose of mood regulator. She suffers from panic attacks and flashbacks as a result of her PTSD. Kayden shares his fair dose of mental stress with an abusive father.

Callie has withdrawn herself from everyone, including her classmates, leading to bullying by people from school. She cut her hair and she is very skinny because of her eating disorder, those two being the main reasons why people make fun of her.

Even though the plot may sound very dramatic, the book actually gives off a hopeful vibe.
Except for the ending.

I really don't recommend reading this book unless you have immediate access to the second part. The first rating that I gave it in GoodReads was a lot lower than what I thought of the whole book because at first I did not know that there was a second part and I did not like the ending. When I found out about 'The redemption of Callie and Kayden' I was so happy... I actually improved the rating I had given it.

Therapy mentioned? Yes

Positive or negative image of sufferer of mental health illness? Positive

Mental health issues mentioned: PTSD, ED, self-harm

Triggering issues? Rape, abuse, self-harm

Do I recommend it? Yes BUT have access to the second one!

My Goodreads rating:

(4/5 stars)

Add me on Goodreads

I will post tomorrow explaining a bit more about the different categories that I add at the very end of the review (and that will be added in all the reviews).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme